Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"It's not WHAT you say...

...it's how you say it."

As Daniel's vocabulary continues to explode, I have noticed that what brings me the most joy (or laughter, depending on the situation) is not so much the new words he can say, but the pronunciations that are evolving over time.

Here is a short list of some of my favorites:

3, 4, 5: Inexplicably, these previously correct numbers have become: "Threef, Fourf, Fife"
"Hold Me Hand" ... I will be sad the day he fixes this.
"Mommy, wha-you doooing?" He delivers this question with a HEAVY Irish accent.
Orange: "O-Jun"
Elephant: "Epotent"
Blueberries: "Boo-berries"
Harmonica: "Mon-ca"
"I gone get you!" In that perfect little sing-song voice... when he wants to be chased.
"Ah - more!" Somehow, these two syllables became permanently linked in Daniel's mind.
MommyDaddy (When he's crying, we apparently become one person to him...!)
"I got TWO" When he discovers 2 of his bedtime animals at the same time... this is a rare treat.
Cracker: "Crackter"
"That's a BIG one..." Regarding anything and everything larger than Daniel expected.
Lightning: "Lightmeen" (Usually followed by "That's a BIG lightmeen!")
"You're Mine" / "I'm Yours": Wrestling phrases used by both father & son.
"I'm Mine": Wrestling phrase used by Daniel when he gets confused.
Chuckie Cheese: "Chuckie Chickie"
"It's funny" or "That silly" with his super cheesy, squinty laugh.
"My do it!" Usually about getting into the car seat. Sometimes about picking a boogar.
Blanket: "Blankeen"
Helicopter: "Hepicopter"
"Listen... Shh, Listen!" He is always silencing us to hear what's in the background.
"Vrilll": What he thinks the letter "V" sounds like. Don't ask.
"One...More...Time!"
Stuck: His favorite verb. "It's stucking!"
Cereal: "See-rolls" (Always plural).
Here It Comes: (in sing song) "Heeee Cubbs!"
Movie: "Moomie"
Nothing: Nuffing! (What are you doing, Daniel? Um...Nuffing!")
"Cheers!" "Bing!" (Since our glasses don't really clink, we have to make the noise ourselves!)
Clean Up Song: "Cwean Crup, Cwean Crup, Everybody Everywhere...!"
"Moe Ghen": More Again... As in, play that tractor scene of Cars "moe ghen" :)
"Togeder": I love that this word has entered his vocabulary.
Spoon: "Poon". Until tonight, when he finally got the "SP" nailed. With emphasis!
His Name: "Dano Maro" :)

I could go on forever! If we ask him, "Daniel, what are you doing?" He always conjugates his answers twice, including the word "doing": "I doing the eating the cereal!" It's fun to hear how he's acquiring language, piece by piece.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

"I'm mine" Ha ha ha! That one cracks me up and is too precious! I know what you mean about it being a sad day when they learn how to correctly say some the sayings they do say. (Riley thinks a cow says "BBBOoooooo!")