Saturday, February 13, 2010

Endearing Syllables

I love Daniel's voice. It's pure and high. It's the definition of sweet. And best of all, his pronunciation is far from perfect.

He's only two, so there are many, many words he says incorrectly. But I have realized recently that I don't want him to correct a lot of them - I'm actually sad when he fixes one of his longstanding mispronunciations.

Yesterday, for example, he said "orange" for the first time. For months (years?) it has been "OH-jun." I was surprised at how sad I felt - shouldn't I be excited for him to be making phonetic advances? And yet the sentimentalist in me always wins out. (I was also sad when green stopped being "ree-gee" last year.)

So, as a tribute of sorts to the wrong words I so love, here they are. Not all the words he doesn't quite have nailed, just a few of the ones that will make me sad the day he corrects them.

Elephant -> EPP-a-tent
Please -> Pwease
Candy -> Canny
Violet -> Fiolet
Booty -> Boo-Dee (over-enunciated)
Chocolate -> CHWAH-kit
Undies -> Unnies
Ethiopia -> E-Fee-O-P-Ah (all syllables yelled)
Together -> To-GEH-der
Quito -> Key-Doh (over-enunciated)
Daniel Amaro -> Dano Maro

No comments: