Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gramma Time

It's pretty fun to sing "Gramma Time" to the tune of "Hammer Time". Just sayin'.

We got to keep Gramma for nearly TWO WHOLE WEEKS. It was amazing, and Daniel is still in denial that she had to go.

To start things off on a fabulous note, we got stranded at IKEA.  (Not a bad place to be stranded, all in all.)  But the car wouldn't start so we improvised while we waited for Fernando.  We played for hours in the kids section, ended up eating TWO meals there, and watching an entire movie.

(And please don't ask me why the car wouldn't start... I'm still embarrassed.  Let's just say it was a user error.)

The rest of the trip was spent enjoying local splash pads... watching movies... going shopping... and getting crafty.

We created new hair clip styles for Violet while Daniel honed his counting skills with the "big shiny gold buttons".  Mom taught me how to make the kind of hair clips she used to make for me and Stacey as kids... so fun.

At the grocery store, we allowed Daniel to select a toy car to bring home, but he insisted on picking one for everyone - including Gramma.  She got the hot yellow sports car (and she looked pretty happy about it, too)... kitchen counter car races ensued.  


At the end of the visit, Daniel was extremely (extremely) sad to see her go.  But he kept consoling himself:  "Gramma needs to go home and see Tex.  Gramma and Tex are best friends."  It was a tearful goodbye, but so special knowing how much my kiddos love my mom.

Long distance family isn't ideal (I'd much rather them be close by!) but it's working, nonetheless.  And knowing that my kids will love my parents like I love my (long distance) grandparents is beyond priceless.  

No comments: