Thursday, June 14, 2007

Week 16: Ode to Dad

I'm horrible with remembering holidays, but I have managed to remember that Father's Day is this week. And with it comes the realization that I'm long overdue in acknowledging the better half of our parenting team: my amazing husband.

Daniel has been blessed with the most compassionate, tender, natural father I have ever seen. Which is a good thing, because Daniel's mother has a lot to learn in the area of parenting. Lessons she's mainly learning from watching Daniel's dad in action. And I'm not kidding, in case you thought that clever self-deprication was a stylistic tool. God knew what he was doing when he put us together - that poor kid wouldn't last a day on my watch :)

Watching Fernando with Daniel constantly reminds me of what it takes to be a good parent. He is endlessly inventive, and can make nothing at all tons of fun. He is resourceful with whatever is handy - I have seen him hold Daniel's attention for a solid 30 minutes by doing nothing but moving his hand into different shapes. Once, a full 20 minutes was spent wearing the child as a hat. Yes, a hat. He is impossibly patient - when I can't take another minute of Daniel's mystery cries, Fernando takes him and manages to calm down both baby and Mommy within minutes.

He is the ultimate protector - I used to think it was quirky how he keeps a bat next to the bed - now I know it's just the tip of the iceburg. When we compare dreams in the morning, I tell of abstract scenarios involving a castle, a rhinocerous and a jar of miracle whip. He tells of saving me from an avalanche, or rescuing Daniel from kidnappers.

I grew up with an amazing father - better than any child could ask for. And when I look in the mirror and see him in me, I'm proud to be related to him. I can tell already that Daniel is going to look a lot like his Daddy - and I couldn't be happier about it. But I'm even happier knowing that Daniel will be raised under the guidance of such a strong, Godly, wise, loving man. Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that Fernando had an awesome Fathers Day and that you are all doing well!