Thursday, May 01, 2008

Month 14: Movie Moments

Tonight, Daniel and I shared a movie moment. You know those moments - the ones that feel as though there should be a soundtrack playing in the background. The kind of moments that make you feel as though your life is one giant romantic comedy movie trailer.

We got home late tonight after prayer service - it was nearly 9 p.m. Fernando was still at work, so Daniel and I came home to a messy house with no food (we got back from Texas five days ago and have managed to avoid the grocery store by living out of the freezer and pantry!). Pajama-clad, we found ourselves in the kitchen making his bedtime bottle and looking for a snack for Mommy.

We found a half-eaten can of peaches in the fridge from yesterday's lunch, so I grabbed a fork and speared a peach slice. Not to be left out, Daniel came over with his mouth open like a baby bird. So I sat down and shared my peaches. He started giggling, and sat down next to me, with his chubby little hand on my knee. We sat there for twenty minutes, in our pajamas on the kitchen floor, two hours past bedtime, eating peaches and laughing together. Daniel was just babbling away, pointing at things and talking my ear off, no doubt about his exciting day at school and how exactly he had gotten that big red bump on his head.

It was pure magic.

The half can of peaches didn't last long between the two of us, and it was getting late, so I did what any mother in my position would have done: I opened a can of pineapples.

Twenty more minutes of fruit sharing and giggling. I fed him some pineapple baby bird style - dropping it in his mouth from mine - which, by the way, is my favorite thing of all time. A little embarrassing to admit, but it's such a special ritual for us. For me, I guess. He doesn't kiss us yet, so it's as close as I get to a kiss. And lately, the baby bird routine has made Daniel laugh - it's impossible to resist. He sees me with food ready and he just throws his head back and laughs outloud, then leans in with that big old baby bird mouth wide open, usually going "aaahhhhhhh...." He laughs again after the transfer is complete. Seriously fun stuff.

Anyway. That was our movie moment of the night, one I imagine I'll hold close to my heart for all time. Long after Daniel refuses to be fed baby bird style, anyway. :)

No comments: