Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's Easy as A-B-C

Daniel mastered his upper case letters earlier this year, and is still working on his lower case letters (almost there!)

But over the past month, a new phenomenon has captured his attention: Spelling! He loves to create words (or "build a word" as they say on Word World, his new favorite show...) and uses his favorite wooden alphabet puzzle constantly.

His repertoire includes CAT, COW, PIG, BOY, HI, UP, BALL, MEN, and STAR. He's close on "AVA" but still shaky on "DANIEL".

Frequently we'll find Daniel in his room, surrounded by one very long line of all of his letters and other miscellaneous puzzle pieces - I can't even explain how encouraging it is to see how much he loves just playing with words and letters. Sometimes it's productive play (spelling, etc), and sometimes it's just fun with letters.

He adores the show "Word World" and constantly wants to "build a word". After watching an episode involving the duck character, he ran to his room to "build the word duck". We created the word, and I thought it would be fun to add a little something extra. So I added the word "My" above the duck...

Me: "Look Daniel! It says 'my duck' - it's your duck!"
Daniel: "No Mommy - it's MY duck."
Me: "Right - that says 'my'..."
Daniel: "No Mommy - it's not your duck, it's my duck."
Me: "Honey, it is your duck..."
Daniel: "That say 'your'?"
Me: "No, it says 'my'. Nevermind. Give me those back... we'll spell 'cat' instead."

1 comment:

Tasha said...

That was an amazing and hilarious conversation. :) It is so great that he is doing so well on his letters!