Sunday, May 13, 2007

Week 11: That Time of Year

Today is my first Mother's Day. Well, there's a tiny chance that last year was my first, but we were definitely not aware of it at the time :)

So far, it's been great. Daniel slept late - until 8:00! I opened two very sweet presents (more on that later). Then I fed the little monkey, and took a nice long shower with him. Now we're about to leave for church - he's being dedicated today. But I have about 20 minutes before he wakes up again, so I thought I'd go ahead and write a little.

Daniel finger-painted this week at preschool. That's right - my 2 month old finger-painted (and I was there, like the paparazzi, taking a million pictures). He painted a beautiful green blob for me - and the teachers at his daycare put little pictures of him and stickers all over it. It's our first official "fridge art" - it's already up on the door with magnets.

Apparently, Daniel did great, too... most babies don't like the feel of cold paint on their hands, but he kept his fingers outstretched the whole time, and did the whole painting himself. Mommy's little Van Gogh. It's amazing how much pride I feel over his accomplishments - no matter how small.

So what were my Mother's Day presents? :) A brand new hard drive from the cats (they're so thoughtful!) and some really cute canvases with foot prints and hand prints from Daniel. Which completely explains why his cuticles were orange on Friday... I almost called the doctor, thinking he was having some kind of allergic reaction! It looked like he had stuck his hand in a bag of cheetoes. (One of his teachers suggested that maybe he'd been raiding the pantry at night...)

Later today Fernando's family is coming over - we're making burgers and just spending some time together to celebrate the day. It's fun to do special things for Moms - but so far, every day has felt this celebratory. I love being a Mom so much already - just interacting with Daniel, feeding him and playing with him... those are the best gifts I could ever have asked for.

3 comments:

stacey said...

Happy Mother's Day!! :-)

TulipGirl said...

That is so sweet! (The fingerpainting and how much he liked it and having "fridge art" from a 2 m/o!)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed your mother's day! I hope his dedication went well (I am sure it was beautiful)!