Saturday, May 26, 2007

Week 13: Steady As She Goes...

We're in the middle of his third month, and so many little things keep constantly changing that it's hard to keep track of it all!

Daniel's doing better each day in daycare - they've started having him nap on his side, without the wrap - and it's actually working pretty well. He was developing a flat spot on the back of his head - so now he's napping on his side, and he's sleeping through the night swaddled on his back.

And speaking of sleeping through the night - this kid is incredible! Last night he did 10.5 hours. Insane! His diaper was way beyond soaked though - I should look for something made for extended wear.

His eating habits have also changed in the past week - he no longer greedily gulps the whole 7 ounces every time. Sometimes he'll stop at 5 or 6, or become so distracted with other things that he doesn't want to eat anymore. (Who IS this child?!)

He smiles and laughs more - i suppose the amount of expressed happiness will just keep increasing from this point on. Kissing his feet or squeezing his thighs almost always makes him giggle - and seeing one of our faces after being apart for hours elicits the biggest smiles from him I've ever seen.

The only bad thing to happen recently is that he's outgrown the sling - I need to find a different one. Apparently 3 month olds don't usually weigh this much, so the standard pouch sling that we've been using now seems a little too restricting for his lower body. He doesn't seem as comfortable as before. There's another position we can use with this sling, but his head control isn't quite good enough yet, and his legs aren't long enough to "sit" on my hip. I'm looking for a new one to use - I'm still determined to find a way to carry Daniel on my body instead of in a stroller. Surely he isn't the first big baby with this issue. (Today in Pier 1, the clerk asked if he was 1 years old...! I'm going to hope that she was just clueless to the world of babies...)

He is doing a great job of sitting - with our assistance, of course. He's incredibly strong - and his head is huge, so he's got a pretty daunting task ahead of him. He can sit very well just holding our thumbs ... he can even look around the room, up and down, side to side ... all on his own.

He still loves both showers & baths - we did buy him a new bathtub that seemed MUCH more comfortable for him until I actually put him in it. He's too tall for the baby part - his head is a full head above where the head cushion is. Hilarious. The shower is still lots of fun - he actually doesn't mind the shower water hitting him directly in the face (not for a long time or anything, but a few seconds is ok). And he still loves mirrors - now he consistently smiles at himself when he looks in a mirror.

There are lots of tiny little changes daily and it's so much fun to watch - to see the light go on when he learns to actually reach for a toy instead of hitting it by accident. Or when he wraps his hands around the bottle and holds it on his own for a few seconds. Today he was sitting in his bouncy chair and he reached his right foot out and touched one of the dangling toys. Then he did it again and again. Every time I put him in the chair, he sticks his right foot out. Incredible. And for the the first time he reached both little hands out and put them on either side of my arm - intentionally. These little changes absolutely amaze me.

What hasn't changed is how much I love him. Scratch that - it has changed - I love that kid more every day. It's amazing how he has a special control over my heart that no one else does - how sometimes my insides physically hurt with how much I feel for him. When I do something that makes him laugh, I feel such incredible joy that my heart aches. Today I found out that scaring him makes him laugh - I said "boo!" and opened my eyes wide, and he jumped a little and laughed and laughed. That game lasted a ridiculously long amount of time... no way was I stopping while it still made him laugh.

He is such a fun baby - and we're having the time of our lives watching him grow up!

No comments: