Saturday, April 24, 2010

Up Where The Air Is Clear

Life is almost back to a normal-esque routine. We are all sleeping better (and more) at night. We are eating home-cooked meals around our dinner table (less forgetting to eat and take out). And Daniel's pink eye is pretty much gone (which he got from me, which I got from changing too many crazy baby diapers). Even after dozens of drop administrations, I STILL have to pry his eyelids open to get those blasted drops in. At least he doesn't scream now. :)

Violet and Daniel are interacting very well - he loves comforting her by telling her, "It's ok - I'm here and I just want to make it better." Precious.

The weather was absolutely perfect yesterday - blustery and almost chilly, strange for April in Phoenix. Daniel and Fernando went to the store to buy the perfect thing for the weather: Kites. We packed up some snacks and walked to the grassy park across the street.

My Grampa taught my sister and me to fly kites when we were young, on the same hill where he taught my mom and uncle. Kite-flying runs deep in my family. There is just something about it... the refrain from Mary Poppins echoing in your ears... "with your fist holding tight to the string of your kite"... it's simply impossible to be in a bad mood when you're flying a kite.

And Daniel flew his first kite yesterday - with pure joy on his face the whole time. Fernando helped him launch it in the air, then with his little fist holding on tight, Daniel went racing through the park, shrieking with glee. I think Violet even shrieked with glee - watching from her perch on the picnic blanket.

Hopefully we have more windy days than usual this Summer - this kite-flying bit could become a routine at the Amaro house.

1 comment:

W.C.Camp said...

Oh my gosh - my first kite. I don't think I remember IT exactly but I do remember flying a stunt kite later as an adult. Great memories. Thanks for reminding me.

W.C.C.