Sunday, August 01, 2010

The B-I-B-L-E

For Christian parents, there are few things as sweet as watching your child learn about God. Daniel has been memorizing verses at church for a while and learning to understand the basic concepts – Jesus is with me when I’m scared… God made me… Jesus loves me… etc.

But we have turned a new literal and metaphorical page in Daniel’s walk with God: He has developed a passion for the Bible. After graduating to a cool toddler Bible (with awesome illustrations involving crazy hair and big muscles) he simply can’t get enough.

For at least a few weeks, he has refused all other books at bedtime – he just wants the Bible. (And when it’s “lights out” time he gets upset – “But Mommy, I just want to read the Bible!” Talk about hard to say no to!) He wants to act out stories constantly and he assigns us roles. Daddy makes an excellent Goliath and wall of Jericho, and I particularly like being the angel that saves Daniel in the lion’s den. Violet is occasionally cast as a lion, which is somewhat fitting given the biting.

His sensitivity to the content is impressive. His eyes flooded with tears the first time we read “The Good Samaritan” and he couldn’t understand why people would hurt someone for no reason.

Today at naptime, I read him the story of Jesus’ death for the first time. He has been asking for it for weeks, but I was too afraid of causing nightmares. Plus, he doesn’t really grasp the concept of death yet. But I gave in, and today we read it. He listened with wide eyes, and careful attention to the painful expressions on Jesus face. He just kept asking me, “Why?” and it was all I could do to not lose it. My heart soared as I read the words of the gospel message to my son – that stone was rolled away. After we were done, I laid with him in his bed for naptime. I asked him if he remembered the story we read today. He said yes. I asked him to tell me about it to see what he retained.

Me: “What happened in the story?”

Daniel: “Jesus prayed to God.”

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel: “Mean guys.”

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel: “Ouchies.”

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel: “They go away.”

Me: “Then what?”

Dnaiel: “Cave.”

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel: Big rock.

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel: Another big rock.

Me: “Then what?”

Daniel “Umm… I dunno.”

Me: Do you remember the angel?

Daniel: “Yes.”

Me: “What happened next?”

Daniel: “Jesus body is gone.”

Me: “That’s right, Daniel.”

Daniel: “He came back alive!”

It was one of the most precious and tender moments we have shared. That feeling of sharing the most important thing in the world with your child, and watching him start to understand.

THIS is the whole point of parenting. Forget teaching manners and hygiene – if we can teach him this, we’ll have done our jobs. My heart has never been happier.

No comments: