Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sock Gnomes and Undies

So, Daniel is kind of a comfort-junkie. And a bit of an exhibitionist. Allow me to explain.

He complains almost every morning about having to take off his pajamas to get dressed. It's not so much about the getting dressed part, or even the going to school part. He hates taking off his warm, comfortable pajamas.

And the second we're back home: "Mommy, I don't want my pants. Just my undies." Lately, we've had to... coach... him on how this is NOT ok when we have company over. Just a few days ago, he excused himself from the dinner table to go to the bathroom (very politely, actually) and came back moments later sans pants. "Daniel, where did your pants go?!" "I dunno!!!" With lots of giggles of course. (You'll excuse
me for not posting a photo of this particular phenomenon.)

Last week I asked him about what he wanted to do/be when he got older and he said, "Mommy, I just want to be at home in my undies, on the couch." I guess that's ok since he's three. If he says the same thing at 18 we may have to have a chat.

We've been loving "How to Train Your Dragon" recently, and there is a hilarious line where the lead Viking is charging into a cave and says something like, "When I break through that rock, all hell's gonna break loose!" And his quirky little sidekick says, "In my undies!"

The kids don't understand why that's hilarious, but they know it's hilarious. It's kind of become our kid-friendly version of "That's What She Said". Daniel throws it into conversation randomly and laughs hysterically whether or not it makes sense. Violet just throws her head back and screams, "UNNNIIIEEESSS!" and laughs like an insane asylum patient.

And while we're talking about pants and undies, we might as well cover the topic of socks. Or should I say, "sock". Daniel is only ever wearing one sock. We put two on him every morning and within minute he is wearing one. For some reason, he just likes it better that way. Every time I ask about it, he just giggles and runs away. Either a strange little sock gnome keeps stealing my kid's sock, or my kid IS a strange little sock gnome!

Fun times in the world of Daniel's clothing!

1 comment:

Bethany Chu said...

So precious. Thanks for the glimpse into your world. It always makes me smile and sometimes makes me laugh hysterically. This usually only happens when i'm catching up on blogs at an inappropriate place for hysterical laughing. Like the middle of the night in the NICU :)