Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Week 6: Momma's Shoulder

There is nothing like the feeling of being needed by someone or something. I think it's why so many of us have pets - we love them and take care of them, but they give us emotional gratification in return - they need us!

This week it really sank in how much Daniel needs me. (I'm not comparing him to a cat or dog - but having pets was my only experience with "parenting" before.) I know he needs me to feed him and change him and keep him safe. But the emotional kind of "needing" wasn't as apparent until now.

He has always preferred to be carried over one shoulder - even from the week he was born. It lets him hold his head and shoulders up and investigate his new world from a safe look-out.

But this week he became a "Momma's Shoulder Addict". There were times when he wouldn't stop crying (for no apparent reason) until I put him on my shoulder. There were times when he would wake up crying in a nap, and wouldn't go back to sleep until he was on my shoulder. More than once I let him finish his nap in my arms. Not a great habit to get into, I know, but I just couldn't resist the feeling of being needed. And I think if he had his way, he'd live on that shoulder.

Daddy can do the shoulder trick too - but it doesn't always work as well. There's just something about Momma's Shoulder.

I know Daniel will (all too quickly) grow out of this phase, and I'm already sad for that day. So while we're still in it, I think I'll indulge my little shoulder addict - and in doing so, indulge myself as well.

No comments: