Friday, June 11, 2010

I Have Confidence In Spring Time

Ah yes, Julie Andrews.

But I digress. Where confidence is concerned, Daniel is blossoming. He's making huge developmental milestones, both mental and physical.

With the start of swimming lessons, his confidence in other areas of life seems to be boosted. His fears are lessening and his playfulness is increasing. (I wrote more about this in another post.)


He has been dry after naptime for a while, and suddenly he decided to kick the pull-up habit altogether - he is dry overnight too. And he's proud of this fact, constantly telling us and himself that he doesn't have any more accidents - he simply beams.

He is enjoying our company more than ever, constantly asking for kisses and hugs or just crawling into our laps for no reason whatsoever. It's precious though - instead of asking for hugs, he'll loudly declare, "Mommy, you can have a hug!" His self-awareness is growing - he is granting us permission to hug, kiss, and tickle his body. It's like he realizes that it's his choice to make. Subtle shift, I know, but definitely a shift. (And a good one, too.)

The "I love you's" are free-flowing around here, mostly coming from him towards us and Violet. And when he REALLY loves you, he says, "I love you to the sun!" (We have a little routine now. D: "I love you to the sun." Me: "I love you to the moon." D: "I love you to the sun." Me: "I love you to the stars." D: "I love you to the humpback whale and all the animals in the bottom of the ocean." And then we free form.)

Every morning he wakes me up by climbing in bed and laying with (or usually on) me. Talk about pure joy. Forget the alarm clock... this is always how I want to wake up.

Somehow this post shifted from confidence to affection, but I suppose they are related. With the increase in confidence has come a huge increase in affection. Maybe the old adage is true: One must first love himself to truly love others.

No comments: