Thursday, November 11, 2010

Be Still My Heart

Daniel is growing up. He is changing daily and becoming the little man I already see inside of him.

This process is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen... and it breaks my heart.


I (will always) live for the moments when...

... he hugs me extra close and says, "I missed you, Mommy."
... he appears at my bedside around 3am and curls up next to me, his head on my chest.
... he gets the giggles about nothing and the two of us can't stop laughing.
... he asks me over and over, "Mommy, can you sit with me and color?"
... he gets scared in a movie and instead of showing fear, comes over and hugs me: "I will protect you, Mommy. You don't have to be scared. I got you."
... he sees appear in his classroom at at the end of the day and shrieks with joy and tackles me.
... he compliments my appearance. It's just started recently... "Mommy, I like your hair."
... he asks to "come up". I know he's big but I will NOT stop carrying him until I physically cannot. He drapes himself on me, resting completely.
... he tells me he doesn't want to go to church or school - he only wants to stay with me.
... he gives me kisses... little ones, medium ones and big, giant ones.
... he tries to make me laugh with silly noises or made up words - it always works.
... he sweetly whispers the same words first thing EVERY morning: "Mommy, can you make me a snack, please?" :)
... he jumps into one of his imaginary worlds and asks me to come along too.
... he spontaneously tells me he loves me. It happens constantly now and every time it does, I pray silently that it will never stop.

Daniel attracts attention wherever we go - for his vocabulary, politeness, obvious intelligence or just being a really good looking kid. It's so easy to be proud of him - and he relishes knowing that we are proud of him.

But deeper than the public Daniel, and even past the "proud of you, son" Daniel, there's a tender sweet Daniel that's currently on the exact same wavelength as my heart. For the moment, for THIS moment, we are directly and completely connected. Be still my heart.

No comments: