Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Wizard of Oz

Wizard of Oz, Day 1:

Last night, Judy Garland entered Daniel's frame of reference.

We were going to do "dinner and a movie" and settled in to pick something fun to watch while we ate. Wizard of Oz was a staple childhood of mine, and strange and scary as it is at various parts, I figured I could pick the fun colorful parts to show the kids.

I thought I'd have to skip the black and white bit at the start to keep them interested, but they were captivated from minute one. And when Dorothy sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", they sat in magical silence, not moving a muscle (or even chewing the bite that was in their mouths). It was beyond beautiful to watch - my babies witnessing for the first time something that was so integral to my childhood. I blinked back tears as Daniel sighed deeply at the end of the song and leaned his head on me. It was a moment I will never remember.

We only watched up until the part where the "green lady" (Wicked Witch of the West) begins appearing in every scene and throwing *very* realistic fire balls. It was nearly bedtime, after all. But Daniel loved when the movie begins in color - "Wow! Look at her red lips!" and then when they walk into Munchkinland for the first time, he was so excited - "Mommy, that's SO VERY beautiful! High-five for beautiful!!" And he thought it was just hilarious to have little people hiding in the bushes. (He said, "Munchkins?! Those aren't munchkins! They are little people!") The "Lollipop Guild" gave him the giggles. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that whole scene. But I guess it's a classic...?

Wizard of Oz, Day 2:

Welcome to today. Daniel has not stopped singing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" all day.
And he keeps asking to watch "Tezzard Hahs... I mean Groundhogs... I mean the movie with the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!"

So we resumed the magic. Both kids adored it as much as yesterday.

Violet got scared twice: Scary trees throwing apples and Weird lion singing "If I Were King of the Jungle". I don't blame her, really.

Still skipping the really intense scenes, both kids were riveted during the colorful musical numbers. As the credits began to roll, Daniel declared to us all, "Wow, that was a great movie! Such a great movie!"

And I will admit - it's refreshing to watch something (anything!) other than Dinosaur Train, Shawn the Sheep and Ant Bully. Judy Garland, you are welcome in our home until we overdo you and get sick of you.

Just being honest.

1 comment:

Carey C. Bailey said...

Wow! Impressive. Only seen it ONCE when I was 5. Was so terrified I have been unwilling to even TRY watching it again. My kids might have to come to your house to see it.