Friday, April 08, 2011

Actual Conversations

Daniel has such a tender heart. At times he can be crazy, loud and even disrespectful. But at other times he is quiet, introspective and incredibly thoughtful. The fact that he is articulate only helps his case.

This is a real conversation (no lie) from the drive home last night, after he and Violet had been at a friend's house:

Me: "Daniel, Ms. Mikki told me that you made great choices tonight and were very respectful. That makes me so happy, baby. Great job."
Daniel: "Thank you. Thank you for saying that, Mommy. That makes my heart happy."
Me: "I'm so glad, honey."
Daniel: "Mommy, what makes YOUR heart happy?"
Me: "It makes my heart happy to be together with you and have fun."
Daniel: "Yes, but tonight we were not together. We were apart. That makes my heart sad."
Me: "I know baby, I'm sorry we were not together."
Daniel: "I told Mr. Michael and Ms. Mikki that I wanted you, that I wanted to be together."
Me: "But now we get to be together!"
Daniel: "Yes Mommy. And that makes my heart very happy."

Are you kidding me? I believe the phrase "old soul" is beginning to apply to my charming little man.

No comments: