Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Someone Special With Blue Eyes

Daniel will be an excellent writer someday.  His level of description and creativity astounds me, even in routine tasks.  He has begun to identify us in fun ways that we have to "figure out".  For example:  "I need someone special with blue eyes to turn off the lights for me."  I'm sure this has something to do with the way his teacher at school calls students to help with classroom chores, but I still love it.  Nothing like a 4-year-old calling his mom "someone special with blue eyes".  

But I digress.

Last week, I decided to try it in reverse.  I was cooking dinner and was elbow deep in a bowl of something.  

I said, "I need someone special with brown eyes to bring me a big spoon."

Daniel didn't hesitate, even though I was looking directly at him (and no one else was in the room).  "Daddy and Violet have brown eyes, too."  

He just stared at me, waiting for me to be more specific, I guess.

I said, "I need someone special with super hero undies to bring me a big spoon."

Without batting an eye, Daniel yanked his shorts down and cranes his head around to see who is on his bootie that day.  Spiderman.  

He began jumping up and down, yelling, "It's me! It's me!  The someone special is me!"  (As if he didn't see this one coming.)  He brought me the spoon and we proceeded with cooking dinner. 



I know this wide-eyed innocence won't last forever, but it's sure fun while it's here.  

No comments: