Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Snicker Pie Incident

Not gonna lie, this post isn't for the weak of stomach.  I'm talking to you, Erin Wiens.  Close this window immediately.

For the rest of you, here we go.

Thanks to some good friends in Arkansas, I now possess the recipe for a DELICIOUS and decadent Snickers pie.  It's cold, creamy and very rich.  I made up a pie for Christmas this year, and Daniel took notice.  He is fond of Snickers pie.

Late in the day, he asked us if he could have a snack.  He said, "Could I have a piece of the candy cake?" And assuming he was referring to the biscuit-based cake we had for breakfast, we told him he could.

About twenty minutes later, I noticed what was happening in the kitchen.  And I saw the damage:  A nearly empty pie plate and a very small Dora-the-Explorer fork in the middle of the remains.  Our best guess is that he ate approximately 1/3 of it.  Could have been more.



Fast forward about an hour.  Violet is asking for dinner, but Daniel is rubbing his belly saying that he doesn't want any more treats today.  His tummy hurts.

Fast forward one more hour.  Daniel and I had just completed a brand new puzzle of the United States and he gets a funny look on his face.  He said his tummy REALLY hurts.  And I think we all know what happened next.

The Southern United States were good sports, all things considered, as they receive the brunt of the storm.  The Gulf of Mexico was hardest hit, and Florida didn't stand a chance.  But the entire US and Canada ended up in the trash.  There are some smells that just won't ever come out of cardboard.

After we cleaned him up and calmed him down (he hasn't really ever thrown up before so he was a little shaken up) we laughed about the whole thing, saying what a great story this would make someday.

We didn't know then what we know now, or we wouldn't have been laughing:  That was wave one of SIX.  Little man emptied his stomach on the table, in his bed, in the tub, on the couch, in the bathroom and in the living room.  And naturally, all over Mommy and Daddy in the process.  Four hours and five pairs of pajamas later, he finally fell asleep.

He has refused any snacks since then, asking before each bite if the item in question is "healthy".  And it's been pretty much bananas, applesauce and toast for a day.

I thought he had learned his lesson until he told me thoughtfully today, "Mommy, do you know why I threw up?  Because I ate too much candy pie.  And do you know why I ate too much candy pie?  Because I really, really like it.  I do."  

1 comment:

Erin said...

Laughing SO much! However hard I tried, I just HAD to read past the first line (thank you for this disclaimer by the way!). Poor Daniel, poor mommy and daddy, and poor puzzle. But, even after all that, I am really REALLY wishing I had some of this amazing pie... :)